By Abby Grinberg, The Verb Hotel
Here at the Verb, we're all about supporting the creative world. From musicians to artists, many have passed through and left their mark. This past weekend, Mery Racauchi, an internationally recognized fashion designer, stayed at the Verb. Born and raised in Argentina, Mery founded her own apparel, footwear, and accessories brand in 2010. She recently moved to New York to take the US fashion scene by storm. We had the opportunity to ask Mery a few questions about herself and the brand, Mery, she has so successfully brought to life.
1. when and why did you get into fashion? when did you decide to start your own brand?
Since the age of 6, I was sewing my own clothes by hand. At the age of 18 I started my own brand of hoodies while I studied fashion styling. At the age of 21, I started selling everything under the name MERY RACAUCHI, By 23, I opened my first store in Argentina and at the age of 25 I moved to NYC. In 2018 I created the brand, MERY PLAYA by Sofia Resing.
2. where do you draw inspiration from for your designs?
Mostly from Barbie, cute food like cupcakes and ice cream, retro toys and 1990 vintage vibes. Marie Antoniette is my inspo too!
3. How old were you when you started modeling? what inspired you to start?
I always model for my brand so I can say I started when I was 18. I like modeling for my brand but I don’t do it too much for other brands! I like to be the creative director and use my vision, and if I model for other brands I can’t use my own vision.
4. what advice would you give to someone who wants to pursue a career in the fashion industry?
Always follow your dreams, and be confident - you can make it! Just be very careful with how much money you spend and invest. Money is very easy to spend when you have it and it takes way longer to make the money back.
5. Outside of fashion, what are some of your hobbies?
I’m releasing my first song in May! I love singing and I have been focusing a lot on my music lately. I'm also shooting my first music video next week!
6. what does a typical day in your week look like?
Wake up, be grateful, workout, breakfast and then it depends. I can go to the music studio, or all over NYC running errands. I might have to do a photo shoot or attend a Red Carpet event. Every day is different and I love it!
7. who is your favorite artist/band?
At the moment I would say Halsey!
8. what is an essential item you make sure you always have when you travel?
Gingseng Royal Jelly
9. what's the coolest place you've ever been to?
The Verb Hotel :D and I love LAS VEGAS and Disney World. I’m all about THEMES!
10. who has inspired you the most during your journey into the fashion world?
I think Miley Cyrus, Rihanna and Katy Perry were definitely my icons and role models when I started getting into the fashion world.
read about all things verb & more
Invisible App Zone